en dot wikipedia dot org slash wiki/Sibylline_Books
Original file (802 × 1,127 pixels, file size: 97 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
The famous cave known as the “Antro della Sibilla” was discovered by Amedeo Maiuri in 1932, the identification of which he based on the description by Virgil in the 6th book of the Aeneid, and also from the description by an anonymous author known as pseudo-Justin. (Virg. Aen. 6. 45–99; Ps-Justin, 37). The cave is a trapezoidal passage over 131 m long, running parallel to the side of the hill and cut out of the volcanic tuff stone and leads to an innermost chamber, where the Sibyl was thought to have prophesied.
A nearby tunnel through the acropolis now known as the “Crypta Romana” (part of Agrippa and Octavian‘s defenses in the war against Sextus Pompey) was previously identified as the Grotto of the Sibyl. The inner chamber was later used as a burial chamber during the 4th or 5th century AD (M. Napoli 1965, 105) by people living at the site.
Some archaeologists have proposed an alternative cave site as the home of the Sibyl. A tunnel complex near Baiae leads to an underground geothermally-heated stream that could be presented to visitors as the river Styx. The layout of the tunnels conforms to the description in the Aeneid of Aeneas‘ journey to the underworld and back.
/en dot wikipedia dot org/wiki/Sebile