Matched fields in 5TVN.cif:
- _citation.title: Crystal Structure of an LSD-Bound Human Serotonin Receptor.
- _entity.pdbx_description: Chimera protein of human 5-hydroxytryptamine receptor 2B and E. Coli soluble cytochrome b562, (8alpha)-N,N-diethyl-6-methyl-9,10-didehydroergoline-8-carboxamide, CHOLESTEROL, (2R)-2,3-dihydroxypropyl (9Z)-octadec-9-enoate, DI(HYDROXYETHYL)ETHER, PHOSPHATE ION
- _entity_name_com.name: 5-HT2B,Serotonin receptor 2B,Cytochrome b-562,5-HT2B,Serotonin receptor 2B
- _struct.title: Crystal structure of the LSD-bound 5-HT2B receptor
- _struct_keywords.text: LSD, GPCR, serotonin receptor, MEMBRANE PROTEIN
________Note from kf from the PDB: Data files contained in the PDB archive (ftp://ftp.wwpdb.org) are free of all copyright restrictions and made fully and freely available for both non-commercial and commercial use. Users of the data should attribute the original authors of that structural data. By using the materials available in the PDB archive, the user agrees to abide by the conditions described in the PDB [Advisory Notice == the page I found this at the bottom of.]
https ://en dot wikipedia dot org /wiki/Protein_Data_Bank
http ://pdb101 dot rcsb dot org/motm/164 == the david goodsell molecule of the month, serotonin receptor ==
Serotonin receptors control mood, emotion, and many other behaviors, and are targets for many important drugs
Exploring the Structure
Serotonin Receptors (PDB entries 4iar and 4ib4)
Researchers are trying to make serotonin-mimicking drugs more specific by taking advantage of the portions of serotonin receptors that are different. Two structures of different serotonin receptors with ergotamine, in PDB entries 4iar and 4ib4 , show one possible approach. Ergotamine is much larger than serotonin, with a portion similar to serotonin (shown in green) that binds deep in the receptor pocket, and the rest binding higher in the pocket. Most of the differences between receptors are found in these more distant portions of the binding site, and may provide new opportunities for designing specific drugs. To look at these structures in more detail, click on the image for an interactive Jmol.
Topics for Further Discussion
- You can see the interaction between a G protein-coupled receptor and a G protein in PDB entry 3sn6.
- Structures for many other G protein-coupled receptors have been solved, including opsin and adrenergic receptors. You can compare their similar structures, composed of seven alpha helices, using the Compare Structures tool.
- The structures of the serotonin receptor, and several other GPCRs, were determined using an engineered protein that has another small protein inserted into the protein chain. Why would this be necessary? What protein was used in the serotonin receptor structures?
- 4iar & 4ibr: C. Wang, Y. Jiang, J. Ma, H. Wu, D. Wacker, V. Katritch, G. W. Han, W. Liu, X. P. Huang, E. Vardy, J. D. McCorvy, X. Gao, X. E. Zhou, K. Melcher, C. Zhang, F. Bai, H. Yang, L. Yang, H. Jiang, B. L. Roth, V. Cherezov, R. C. Stevens & H. E. Xu (2013) Structural basis for molecular recognition at serotonin receptors. Science 340, 610-619.
- J. G. Hensler (2012) Serotonin. In “Basic Neurochemistry, 8th Edition” Elsevier.
- M. Berger, J. A. Gray & B. L. Roth (2009) The expanded biology of serotonin. Annual Review of Medicine 60, 355-366.
- 3gwv: Z. Zhou, J. Zhen, N. K. Karpowich, C. J. Law, M. E. A. Reith & D. N. Wang (2009) Antidepressant specificity of serotonin transporter suggested by three LeuT-SSRI structures. Nature Structural & Molecular Biology 16, 652-658.
August 2013, David Goodsell
___________ October 31, 2019, The library just called and the novel is available for pick-up. First I ought to get a reading light and — I guess I’ll have to check the WalMart for lightbulbs because they’ve gotten so expensive since I’d accidentally knocked a little packet over in 2005, it fell to the floor of maybe a Walgreen’s in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn and this next time I’ve looked they’re nearly seven instead of 2-3 dollars a package anymore so coordinating both a lamp and a lightbulb for it, 40-watt only and then I figure those won’t be that good so I’ll have to try to get those errands done and I don’t even know what I’m doing out on such a cold day nearly, have to get in before the temperature drops tonight into the thirties, shudder shudder for me. I’ll put this in the regular post but thought I’d make the note that “Receptor” is really only for the parts of the novel, 2019 somehow for me to have learned about to manage to read while something’s contemporary still, that I’m only going to skim it for the “good” parts that I’m looking for, about that “milquetoast” accountant-type that sounds maybe like the Edsel Ford type, is why I’m going to try to quickly look into it for the parts about him/Frank Olson -type et al.